Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Girl of Myth and Legend

Rating: 4 out of 5

Favorite Quote(s): I couldn't pick between these two so I'll put both...

"...you'd better stand back because mine is a fire that will consume anyone in my way, and when it does, I'll rip off that mask you hide behind, stare into those eyes of yours, and all I'll see is pure, naked, unfathomable fear looking back at me."

"I am sacred. I am a coward, and even so I will survive, because nothing can beat me. Break my bones, sorch my flesh, haze my mind, discourage me all you want, and I will survive. I have something stronger, something untouchable. I will survive. But I promise you, you won't make it off this mountain, I'll make sure of it."

Summary: Leonie Woodville wants to live an unremarkable life. She wants routine, she wants repetition, she wants predictability. So when she explodes in a blaze of light one morning on the way to her college, it’s enough to put a real crimp in her day.

And things only get weirder…

Leonie learns from her father that she is last of the Pulsar, a phenomenally powerful member of a magical species called the Chosen. It will be her sole duty to protect the Imperium, a governing hierarchy, from all enemies, and to exceed the reputation of the Pulsar before her. So – no pressure there, then.

Leonie is swept away from her rigorous normality and taken to a world of magic. There, she is forced into a ceremony to join her soul to a guardian, Korren, who is both incredibly handsome and intensely troubled, a relationship for which ‘it’s complicated’ just really doesn’t cut it.

But Leonie is soon to learn that this ancient world is no paradise. With violent dissidents intent to overthrow the Imperium, and dark entities with their own agenda, she and Korren find themselves caught in a war where they will have to overcome their differences if they are to survive.

Review: I really enjoyed this novel!! The beginning was slow, but once the book picked up, I couldn't put it down. (My iPad had to die before I could stop.) 

The world Simlett creates is flawless, not in the sense that it doesn't have faults or darkness, but in the way she's able to depict it so well with so little words. She also beautifully balances the dialogue and the action in all of her scenes. 

The story is told mostly from the point-of-view of Leonie, but there are a few flashbacks and short chapters from the point-of-view of Korren. I found these to be essential to the reader. They help us better understand Korren, a creature with a complicated past and an even more complicated mind.

One of the best things about this book, however, was the intense mystery. You honestly didn't know who to trust. There was not a set "good" or "bad". The plot was compelling and complex which could mean endless possibilities in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment